Thursday, February 11, 2016

# 2: A Psalm of Lament

[1] O LORD, God on high! Listen to my cry!
[2] Why do you keep a distance from me?
Do not hide your face any longer, O LORD.
I have tried to get closer to you day after day,
yet you seem to be very far away.
[3] I know that you are omnipresent God, and will hear my prayer.
[4] How long will I be ashamed of my foreign language?
It is not my mother tongue, but is a means of my daily communication.
It causes me to lag behind in thinking, and lose my train of thought.
[5] I do not want to fail at school though the lessons seem so tough.
My peers will look down on me for this linguistic deficiency.
[6] I have prayed a lot about this, so help me.
Rescue me, O God, or else I may become a laughing stock for many.
[7] I know eventually you will pay attention and reach out your hands,
to deliver me from pressures and burdens of fear and anxiety.
And replace them with faith, joy and confidence.
[8] I will praise you for who you are and what you have done for me.
Surely, I will sing and give thanks to you,
for you have been good to me and will be for ever. Amen.

In the lament psalm above, we see the formal features of a complaint psalm covered from the beginning to the end. God is addressed as second person (v 1), which indicates that the psalmist seems to make a direct connection with the Most High; he  utter out complaint for his prayers not being heard (v 2); the statement of trust in God is made that God is omnipresent and that will answer his prayers (v 3); another lament reappears (vv 4-5) to talk about his problem and his need of the language of the foreign country he is living in and the school he is attending; a petition is presented to God (v 6-7) so that he would somehow be delivered from this difficult situation; and finally, he makes a vow of thanksgiving and praise to the Lord for his everlasting nature, his mercy and goodness. On the whole, this is a basic kind of lament psalm.



2 comments:

  1. Daniel, this is really great and heartfelt stuff! Thank you for being so vulnerable in your sharing.

    I think this work highlights one of our enduring understandings, namely that “The Writings don’t represent doctrine, but experience…and experience varies.” I’m thinking mostly of the last part: experience varies. As I read your psalm, it was humbling to come face to face with some of my own presumptions about this class and the people journeying with me. We have one thing in common – we’re taking the course – but so much opportunity to experience it differently. Considering that the Hebrew Bible was written by the elite class of the time (the only ones that could read and write), I wonder how the experiences recorded may be different from those of other Israelites.

    Thanks again for posting your psalm!

    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daniel,

    I really appreciate the vulnerability you portray in this lament, and as your classmate and friend, I want you to know that I think you are brilliant and hope you never doubt your abilities as a student. You bring so much wonderful experience to the table, and I always love learning from you!

    Your lament also reminds me that we all come from so many places and have so many incredible and unique stories. And it reminds me that even the people I look up to and admire are dealing with their own struggles. This is a great eye opener!

    ReplyDelete